I am not a fan of New Years- actually I think its a pretty lame holiday. I also dislike the idea of New year's resolutions. Let me explain- I think the idea of a resolution is great. I'm all about setting and achieving goals. However, I hate the idea of setting a goal or a "resolution" simply because it is the beginning of a new year and you feel like you should. If you know you need to change something then just do it- don't wait until January. If you set the goal simply because the holiday dictates that you do, you probably will not achieve the goal anyway. The motivation for change is not really there. You will most likely work on it for a month and then forget all about it. Therefore you have not resolved anything. And therefore I make a point of never setting new years resolutions. I simply continue working toward the goals that I already have set for myself. I always have goals- in multiple areas of my life. Education, spiritual, physical, etc...so the new year brings nothing different. I think everyone should always have at least 2 or 3 goals they are working toward- otherwise they probably aren't improving or progressing. But those goals should not be set simply to ring in a new year.
I know I sound like a scrooge- but to me it seems so hypocritical. The idea of a new year bringing new opportunities and a clean slate is fantastic- but rarely do we ever really take advantage of it. We hang on to our past so tightly because its comfortable, its what we know- and the new opportunities are scary- so we fall right back into our rut and never truly experience what the new year really could be. therefore- I am not a fan. It is a waste.
also, I never stay up until midnight. The new year will come whether I'm awake or not- why should I lose sleep over it. If other people want to celebrate new years- more power to them. Someone has to love it-its just not me.
No comments:
Post a Comment