
I just had an eye opening experience. You've all heard the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" well- its true. But perhaps I should say, "beauty is in the mind of the beholder". Let me explain.
This morning was kind of a blah morning for me. I'm getting over a cold, I've not been exercising, and I've been eating not great things. So basically I feel gross. I didn't want to get dressed because I felt fat in everything I put on. I did my hair but it just looked faded, flat and lifeless. I put my make up on and surprisingly it didn't help. I just looked ugly. Usually when I feel like this I can at least find something about myself that looks OK- usually my eyes but today I thought even my eyes looked yuck. As I was sitting on my bed feeling sorry for myself I decided I should just be grateful that I am feeling better than yesterday and that my cold hasn't completely over taken my voice enough to prevent me from singing in my voice lesson today. that thought brightened my spirits! I love my voice lessons and I haven't had one in two weeks.
Interestingly enough when I looked in the mirror again I didn't look quite as bad as I originally thought. I actually thought I looked pretty today. And it occurred to me that my appearance hadn't actually changed at all. My attitude and therefore my perception of myself had. My negative feelings caused me to see everything negatively- and once I had changed my thoughts in the direction of gratitude- things looked better. I know that sounds cheesy but there is no other explanation for it. My eyes were seeing the same person, but they way my mind processed it had changed- therefore beauty must be in the mind of the beholder.
No comments:
Post a Comment