"You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go"(Dr.Seuss) Decide where you want to go, or life will decide for you...
Monday, April 5, 2010
Trying something different...
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Therefore I must be insane. I started taking voice lessons at the beginning of January and each month I choose a song to work on and then I sing it in master class and am critiqued by my fellow voice students. To be honest, the last four months I have chosen songs that I am already super comfortable with, songs well in my range and far away from my breaks. I wanted to make sure I sounded good when I sang in master class. I don't like to do things I'm not good at...so naturally I chose songs I knew I could sing well. But this month we are working on our recital piece. So I chose something a little more challenging. Good morning Baltimore from Hairspray. I will be working on this song until the end of April and I didn't want to get bored. However, while practicing this week I decided this song is too hard for me and I started flipping through my books to see if I could find something easier. And then I realized how totally insane that was. I mean, I am paying my voice teacher to teach me to sing...how can he help me through my breaks and teach me correct technique if I am singing stuff that doesn't challenge me or even require me to practice. My goal in taking voice lessons is to learn to control my voice and be comfortable singing anything anyone places in front of me....but that will never happen by singing the same type of song every month. I might be insane...or maybe just a big chicken. I am going to sing the song from Hairspray. I can do hard things and even if I mess it up completely, I will hopefully have learned something I haven't learned previously. Its time to try something different....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You can totally do it! Also, I happen to think that you should record such performances, post them on your blog, and let us comment on them too! :D
haha ok I will think about it :)
Post a Comment