"You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go"(Dr.Seuss) Decide where you want to go, or life will decide for you...
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Time to grow up
Do clothes make the man? no. They don't but sometimes they help the man feel good in his own skin. Okay really I'm not talking about a man. I'm talking about me. I'm not huge into retail therapy, I actually hate to shop. But for the last few weeks I've been hating my clothes. I put them on and I just feel like garbage. So a few days ago I went and I bought what I like to call "grown up" shirts. Basically they aren't T-shirts. Its funny but I put one on and I just felt empowered. I felt my age and I felt like I could move forward and get what I want out of life....it sounds a little crazy. My theory is this: All the clothes in my closet are old, they represent things from my past. Some of the shirts I don't EVER wear but I have kept them because they had some sentimental value. Well I got rid of those shirts, and I replaced them. Maybe its more symbolic for me- I needed to get rid of the past and get my appearance in line with my new life goals. I couldn't move forward because I was trying to hard to hang on to the past. It sounds ridiculous but when you are wearing clothes that make you feel like a teenager its really hard to grow up and make adult decisions. I am pretty much the baby in my family and inadvertently am treated as such a lot of the time. But in order to push my way out of that-I need to see myself as and adult. One way for me to do that is wear clothes that look like an adult. I'm not going to lie- adult clothes are more expensive. That's the worst part. But I am very much an adult, I have some life experience now and I'm getting more every day. I look much younger than I am. I feel like if I want people to take me seriously I need to make a change. I feel like I have a pretty good head on my shoulders. I know what I want. I can discern people and situations well. I catch on to things quickly. I listen, observe, and understand people. I can anticipate consequences very far into the future. I think I have a lot to offer- I just have to get people to look past my young face and give me a chance- therefore I must spend money on grown up clothes. It won't fix things entirely, but its a start....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment