"You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go"(Dr.Seuss) Decide where you want to go, or life will decide for you...
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Please notify me before publishing
So I read a book yesterday. I am not sure how I feel about it. (Which is terrible because I bought it since our library here stinks. ) As typical of me, I started it and finished it a few hours later so I guess it couldn't have been too bad. However, I still didn't love it. which is sad, because it has the potential to be a really good book. But I hate when authors spend so much time describing scenery and clothing and not enough time on relationship development between the characters. Or in this case, they develop one or two characters full and then just kind of throw in a few more to make the plot work. Now in the books defense, I did like the plot, once I actually got to it (134 pgs in) and I did like the characters, I just think she needed to refocus some of her details. Also, the book was set in France. Which meant she kept throwing in a ton of French words and phrases- which is annoying because French is not a super common language that most people can pronounce let alone understand. I couldn't say half the names in the book and that was annoying to me. But my biggest problem with the book was that I'm still not sure when it takes place. She mentioned a war but I'm not sure if it was WWI or WWII- nice huh. And perhaps it was mentioned in her PAGES of detail at the beginning but I always skip over that when it gets to be longer than a paragraph. So basically my conclusion is that Perhaps all mystery romance novelists should have me edit their books before they go to publishing. I may have to give this one to my sister for a re-write.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment