Monday, May 7, 2012

How Do You Win This Game???

I LOVE to watch dates.  Maybe because I'm not good at dating and I have resigned myself to the fact that I never will be.  I've posted on this topic before (see HERE)... I'm sassy .  I'm direct. I'm smart.  If I want to know something I ask.   This is just not appealing to most men and every time I watch someone on a date I remember why I'm okay with it.  If I am to be single,  and judged by the community at large for my singleness, I wish to at least hold on to my self respect. 

Let me tell you about the date I observed this weekend.  My friend Madison and I saw The Secret Garden at the HCTO and sitting directly in front of us was a couple.  Awesome.  This blog has been lacking any real inspiration lately and I was super excited about this one.  Now, as I was saying. This girl seemed pretty normal but she very quickly began exhibiting the behavior of the BYU co-ed trying to catch a man.  So many girls fall into the same snare...poor things.  And before you continue reading I have to preface this by saying I don't know this girl who inspired the post- so this is not a critique on her personally just a commentary on exhibited behavior.  No more, no less.

The first thing I noticed was her blowing on her finger nails.  Fingernails, which I'm positive, had been dry for several hours.  Why was she doing this? well, obviously she was trying to get said boy to notice her glitter nails and compliment her on them.  I can only assume he did not since her next move was to pull out her lotion and rub it on the top of her hands...still flashing the nails.  Finally she decided to rub the lotion in like a normal person-or so I thought.  But she kept rubbing it and rubbing it.  I'm not exaggerating when I say she rubbed her hands together for probably a good 5-10 minutes.  I'm sure it was to make sure they were good and soft for when he held her hand later.  But the whole time she was doing it all I could see was the skinny kid from the sandlot saying, "lotioning and oiling, oiling and lotioning".  STOP!!! It has absorbed and now you are just making me anxious. 

The lights dim and she squeals in her seat- like she had just been given orchestra tickets to see the original cast of wicked on Broadway.  Whatever, maybe it's her favorite book or something.  Really I suspect she was just trying to make sure her date knew she was as into theater as he was.  The show plays and I begin to hear her laughing at the most inappropriate times.  For instance, Mary walks onto the stage dragging her jump rope because she is depressed.  Her whole life is empty and cold and she's just realized her garden is dead.  It's a dramatic scene and queen laughs a lot starts giggling.  Seriously? why is that funny? I still am not sure. 

About half way through the first act she decides it's time to pull out the big guns.  Sweep the hair off your neck and lay your head on his shoulder.  But not just head on the shoulder- the brace your chin with your hand so that your face is in his peripheral vision strategy.  Unmistakable for "I'm interested/we are a couple".  Super PDA- That is a major move in the man hunt.  That is pretty much the position she stayed in until the end of the show.  With the exception of her clapping at the end of each number.  She sat up so straight and clapped with great enthusiasm.  I was surprised that the word "bravo" did not come out of her mouth.  Her date didn't really respond to her invasion of space -But I suspect that's mostly because he knew he was being watched by Madison and I.  Still ladies- a word of advice, if you throw out the "I'm interested" signal and put your head on his shoulder and he does not respond the first or second time, he probably isn't going to and you should salvage your pride and just stop.  Maybe he is into you but perhaps there is a reason he is not reacting the way you want.  Respect his space (and yourself)- even if you don't understand his reasoning. 

Okay like I said, I'm not trying to be critical of this girl in particular, just female wiles in general.  Why? Why do girls do such things?  Why is being dumb attractive?  Why do they play such ridiculous games to get attention?  Apparently it works- but if that is what it takes to get a man then I guess I will just have to stay single forever.  Because I like being sassy and sarcastic.  I like being right sometimes. I like not having to pretend I don't know something I secretly know a ton about because it might be a turn off. i like not having to worry about my nails chipping and if they match my outfit.  I like my hoodies and messy ponytails.  I like to educate myself- formally and informally- and I don't intend to stop or hide it because it's against the rules of the game.  Single ladies of Utah County- Play your games.  Just know, I will be watching - and you just might find yourself as an example on my blog.

6 comments:

Levi said...

I had to laugh at this one. There are 800 people in my branch, & it's funny to see how much of this still goes on every single week. I don't think people realize how much happier life is when you stop trying to pretend you're someone you're not.

Melanie said...

But what if glitter nails is exactly the kind of person she is? What would be better: giggle inappropriately, or sit there and yawn, making it very apparent that she'd rather be watching P.S. I Love You for the millionth time? Throw the girl a pity blanket, if not the benefit of the doubt.

Lori Ann said...

haha melanie relax...she is just an example of byu girls as a whole. She is probably a very nice girl in an everyday situation but she is very good at the 'dating game' and i'm not- she just had the misfortune of giving me a front row seat- but since I don't know her, she will never read this blog and therefore cannot be offended by it. And anyone who is offended by it- doesn't have to keep reading. Like I said, I am who I am and I say what I think... and I am 100% aware that some people don't agree and or like it, but I realized a long time ago I can't please everyone and I don't have the energy or the desire to try.

Ashley Naylor said...

You are such an inspiration to me, Lori, I'm so grateful I got you as my visiting teaching partner. You have such good advise for girls my age who don't have any idea what we're doing. I love this post.

René (aka Tweeter Bug) said...

What's even more important here . . . Did you enjoy the play? :)

Lori Ann said...

thanks Ashley and Rene- Yes it was fantastic!!