Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Drifter

So tonight I almost died. NBD. actually it was a big deal.  My friend Amber and I were driving down to Provo on the I-15 freeway.  Before we even got on the freeway I noticed a lady in a car in front of us- super tailgating the car in front of her.  If you have ever been on Utah roads you know that this is pretty common place.  Where I began to pay closer attention was when she got to the stop sign.  She stopped FOREVER!  It has been my experience that people who are compulsive tailgaters do NOT make complete stops.  Especially when there is no oncoming traffic.  As we continued behind her toward the freeway Amber pointed out that she was having trouble staying in her lines- she almost drove into the orange construction cone.  Anyway, we got in another lane and got on the freeway and I forgot all about her.  At least I did until Amber pointed out that she was somehow in front of us again.  Tailgating an SUV.  Also, swerving like a crazy person.  She almost drove into the cement divider several times.  When she wasn't playing chicken with the cement block she was swerving into the lane to the right of her.  We watched this for a few minutes and then Amber decided she was just going to pass her really fast so that when she did crash into something we wouldn't end up in the aftermath.  Well, that sounded like a great idea until we actually sped up.  Because guess who started drifting again...toward my side of the car.  Amber laid on the horn but it was almost like it drew her in....like a moth to the flame.  I looked over in her car and she was laughing.  Driving right toward my passenger side door, alone in the car, and laughing.  She over corrected and ended up in the other lane again.  At this point Amber just gunned it and got out of there. 
Honestly, I don't know if she was on meds, alcohol, talking on her phone, really tired, or just possessed.  Either way- at 80 mph I really didn't want to get close enough to find out.  And I almost did.  I am 100% positive that if she hadn't corrected at the last second I would not be writing this blog.  I kind of like my life- imperfect as it may be.  I don't appreciate people doing stupid things at high speeds with heavy machinery. 

No comments: