I don't know if I've posted about this before...I probably have, but if that's true its been awhile so I'm going to do it again.
A few nights ago I went with a friend to a dessert party for an old MTC companion of hers. The companion isn't old, its just been awhile since they were companions. Anyway, we were talking about how she is close to graduating from BYU and what her plans were now. Turns out she and so many of my friends share a common frustration. A frustration that is probably only common in Mormon society.
As a good LDS girl you are raised with the plan that you will get married and start a family. You go to school and you meet people but nothing works out. So one day you find yourself graduated from a university with your original plan unfulfilled. Now what? well, you can't just sit there and hope prince charming comes along -so you make another plan. With this new plan, you date guys and they ask what you are doing now that you are done with school. You tell them, and now they don't want to date you because you have a plan and they don't want to get in the way of that plan; Or maybe they are simply intimidated by it. Either way its stupid. Of course you have a plan...anyone with a healthy level of self respect would have a plan. It doesn't mean you aren't willing to adjust your plan for someone stellar so that you can finish out your original plan.
This is the catch 22, no one wants a girl who sits around and does nothing, but apparently most men don't want a girl who has plans. If you tell them you have a plan they run away. If you tell them you want to get married they run twice as fast. This is why I have so many amazing friends who are single..they are smart, funny, motivated, spiritual women who know who they are and what they want....apparently that is NOT attractive. Go figure.
my theory-Men need to act like men. Seriously they need more confidence in themselves and more faith in the Lord. They get scared too easily and run away. Well, I'm not a runner. I hate running. So if a man runs away from me I will just let him go...maybe he'll trip over a rock, hit his head, and gain some common sense.
2 comments:
You're right. I really don't get it. I know some single LDS guys who say that they'd never marry a RM girl or one with who already has a career going. I don't understand that mentality at all. Doesn't that make them even more attractive?
you would think so...i'm totally confused by it.
Post a Comment