Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I Am Thankful ....




So the other day my friend asked me to think of the things about me that I'm thankful for. Everyone could probably make a list of 100 things they are thankful for on the spot...but can we do it about ourselves? I think for most of us its much easier to come up with a list of things we don't like about ourselves or the things we've failed at or just done less than perfect. I was talking to a good friend of mine one night-and I said I was kind of boring, that sometimes I felt like I didn't contribute much to my friendships. That my friends did most the talking and I was just kind of there. She told me that she could see what I was talking about but it wasn't because I was boring- it was the opposite. She compared it to a coloring book. She said that other people bring the book with the monotoned pictures -they bring the structure -and I bring the crayons and I color in their pictures. I bring them to life and add to their stories. I was so busy seeing how I thought I fell short that I didn't see myself from another perspective. I am too often guilty of focusing on my faults so I am going to make a list (don't worry it won't be 100 things) of things about me I'm thankful for.




I would challenge everyone reading this to do the same thing...you don't have to blog about it but I think everyone should just focus on the positive every once in awhile. So here is my list, in no particular order:




I am thankful for....




My expressive face


my height which allows me to wear heals of any height


my singing voice


the ability to learn quickly


the ability to remember people and things


my sense of humor


my testimony


the ability to understand people and their motives


a fairly even temperament


the ability to forgive quickly


my work ethic


the gift of discernment


being happy most of the time/I don't get depressed


the ability to handle pressure


healthy body-I almost never get sick


the ability to hide nerves


the skills of communicating -writing and public speaking


my love of history


good nail beds


strong teeth


self control


the ability to accept things as they are


ability to make friends


willingness to try new things and confront fears


being financially responsible


independence


good problem solving skills


my very pale skin-I know tan is considered beautiful but I like my complexion


not taking offense easily


easily entertained


relating to people of all ages


being a little nerdy




these are some of the things I'm grateful for about myself. And anytime I'm feeling down on myself I'm going to re-read this blog and remind myself that I'm pretty cool. Elder Holland has said, "I suppose it goes without saying that negative speaking so often flows from negative thinking about ourselves. we see our own faults, we speak-or at least think-critically of ourselves, and before long that is how we see everyone and everything. No sunshine, no roses, no promise of hope or happiness. Before long we and everybody around us are miserable".


we are all pretty awesome! Lets be our biggest fans and make the world around us a better happier place!

No comments: