Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I Have But One Regret...


I don't really believe in regret.  I mean, I believe it's a real thing but I don't let myself dwell on the past.  It can't be changed so the best thing to do is learn what you need to learn and move onto your future.  Because of this philosophy I don't really think about the regrets I have in life...mostly I tell myself I don't have any.  But if I'm being honest with myself I do.  Some are bigger than others of course but there is something to learn from them all:

1. I regret not starting voice lessons sooner. 
  I hate that I let my fear of failure and the opinions of others prevent me from doing what I loved for so long! If I had just jumped in with both feet I maybe wouldn't still get so nervous when I sing in front of people.

2.  I regret not using the recording studio time I won at N.A.T.S. two years ago.  I couldn't decide what I wanted to sing so I threw it under my bed and forgot about it until it had expired.  Awesome right.  Just throw away a couple hundred dollars. 

3.  I regret not driving across the freeway to spend more time with Carly.  We were best friends since we were six years old.  Then we went to different high schools and I didn't ever see her.  When I got my license I should have driven the ten minutes to hang out.  Now I don't have the option. 

4.  I had an Ex (who will remain nameless) that treated me like a queen and I didn't appreciate him.  I don't regret our breaking up- I just wish I would have treated him better while we were together.  He really was a great guy.  Just not for me.

That is not bad right? four major regrets in 29 years.  But like I said, I can't change the choices I made.  So what did I learn?  I learned that fear can steal quite a bit of your life before you even realize it's happened.  I learned that I can't let my fear of failure prevent me from trying things.  It's okay to not be perfect at everything.  I learned that if you don't make decisions on your own life and the passage of time will take the decision away from you.  The opportunity of a lifetime is only good for the lifetime of the opportunity.  The door closed on my free recording time -because I let it.  I wasn't sure what I wanted so I ended up with nothing.  Something would have been better than what I've got now.  I learned that great friendships are deserving of my time.  That I need to take advantage of the time I have with people because they will be gone some day.  And although I cherish the memories we have...It would have been great to have more.  And finally I learned that I need to treat people better!  Even if I do want them to go away... it's better to be honest than to drag someone along.  As uncomfortable as it is- I need to always be honest and upfront with people and appreciate all the great qualities they have to offer. So you see, regret can be a good thing if it propels us forward and ultimately helps us to become a better version of ourselves.  I know I am better for every one of these experiences. 

No comments: