Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Good Man Is Hard To Find...

You know how they tell you that if you want to achieve something you should visualize it.  Picture yourself doing/being something.  Well I totally support that theory and I realized that I don't do it very often anymore.  Especially with dating...I can tell you what I DON'T want in a guy but I might have a hard time telling you what I do want.  I mean, besides the obvious- good hygiene, a job, active in the church.  Those are the three basics but beyond that....who knows. 
That being said I decided to start putting some thought into this particular subject and what better model for the ideal man than to turn to the ultimate source... Jane Austin.  Girl knows her stuff. 

For most people the first Austin character who comes to mind is none other than Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice.   Mr. Darcy is not really my ideal man.  I do admire that he says what he thinks and is super observant.  He is also very rich...not a bad incentive.  However he lacks a sense of humor and he is a bit on the arrogant side.  He also has a horrible family. I would like to get along with my in-laws if possible. 

Col. Brandon, from Sense and Sensibility- not really my type either he is a little old.  He does have his good points as well- He knows what he wants and he is patient in getting it.  Really level headed guy and a gracious loser.  His qualities are to be admired but I need a man who doesn't let go so easily.  His confidence is a lacking and he almost loses the girl because of it.

Okay I cheated- I know this one is not an Austin man but he's still a good one.  Mr. Thornton from North and South.  He is a little hard. He works hard and doesn't really play.  He's educated and takes the time to better himself.  He supports his family and treats his momma well.  He speaks his thoughts with blunt honesty.  He has a bit of a temper but can be reigned in by a good persuasive woman.  This one is a pretty good one- I mean, he's got an awesome accent and Also, he is probably one of the best kissers I've ever seen ;) (maybe because he's NOT an Austin man)

Another good one from Sense and Sensibility- I do love me some Edward Farris.  He is easy going- doesn't take himself too seriously. He is loyal and honest.  He is kind and super thoughtful.  But he is almost too loyal- he almost misses out on his woman because he follows his conscience more strictly than his heart.  Which is great- unless I'm the one being given up.  But he is getting closer to the ideal man.  If we could put him and Mr. Thornton together we might be almost there. 

Mr. Knightly.  The hero from Emma.  Yep I think this is the one closest to my ideal. He is smart, successful, patient, thoughtful, kind, and honest.  He says what he thinks but he does it with tact.  He knows what he wants and he never takes his eye off the target.  But the thing I love the most, the very most, is that he gives Emma her way most of the time, he plays along with her ridiculous ideas but when she crosses the line, he calls her out on it and brings her back in line. My favorite line from the movie is, "Badly done Emma.  Badly done."  Maybe that sounds weird that I love that about him.  It's not though.  Like most women I like to get my own way 99% of the time- but I don't want a man that lets me walk all over him.  I need a man who isn't afraid of me and who respects me enough to stop me from doing something I'll regret later. But he needs to, like Mr. Knightly, understand exactly where that line is.  yep, If only I could find one of those....

No comments: