
I feel like at some point in my college career I must have been sprinkled with pixie dust and flown away to Neverland. But this Neverland is special, it looks just like Utah county...its as if I never left the real world. But I'm becoming more convinced that perhaps Neverland has become my new reality. Let me see if I can explain. First of all when I say Neverland- I am, in fact, referring to the Disney version of the magical world in which peter pan and his lost boys dwell. Now, when I was at BYU I have to admit, I didn't really want to grow up. My roommates were so fun and I just wanted to do my own thing when I wanted to do it. I am a kid at heart and love to have fun. And I think because of that, Neverland promised, just as it did in the movie, to be everything I thought I wanted. I made friends with peter pan and his lost boys. We played games and talked and just had a grand time together. These are the boys whose motto is, "I want to be a little boy, to always have fun and never grow up". Which at 21, 22 years old that is great- no threat there. But after 25 it starts to get a bit old. I feel like every guy I meet is a lost boy and even though it was fun for a time, I find myself sympathizing with Wendy at the end of the film- when she finally decides the fun is over. She loves peter and his lost boys...they are some of her best friends, but Its time to grow up and get on with life. The last few days I have been feeling pretty apathetic towards every guy I know and I couldn't figure out why. Then I decided it isn't apathy after all- but a frustration with men to not move on. To not recognize and strive for their potential. I am not apathetic- just saying to those lost boys, even the ones I love, that I am leaving Neverland. They can come with me if they'd like..but if not I guess the time has come to say goodbye. Wendy was a smart girl and I intend to follow her lead- you can't have a full and meaningful life in Neverland.
1 comment:
so well put, lori! seriously, i think i know exactly how you feel. i was there, once.
i love reading your blog!
Post a Comment