There are those people in the world who can hike to Timp cave (or any cave) in 23 min. without stopping. Those people are amazing...but not what I want to talk about. The rest of us set off on our hike probably at a descent pace and as the hike gets harder and the mountain gets steeper and the air gets thinner we begin to get a little winded. We probably make it to the 1/4 way marker and need to take a rest. After a min or so we begin our uphill hike, this time we don't quite make it another quarter of the way before we need a break. And that pattern continues as we climb higher and higher. The mountain gets steeper and our breaks become longer and more frequent. Occasionally other hikers will pass us up, some looking as if the hike is the easiest thing in the world. We will probably give them a few crusty faces and wonder if the cave at the top is really worth all this work. You decide to keep moving and hiking upward, occasionally glancing about to experience the view from your elevated position. Finally you reach the cave (or the peak) and the sights are incredible. You experience part of the world that cannot be experienced from any other point. suddenly your hard work feels gratifying.
why do I share this...I share it because on occasion I have been told that I expect too much of people...that I have a tendency to make others feel like they just cannot live up to the expectation I have set. I gave this some serious thought. After much contemplation I realized that I do hold everyone to a high standard. I expect a lot from people...but I also realized I expect the same from myself. I hold myself to just as high, if not higher, of a standard. However, what I fail to communicate to those I associate with is that although I expect a lot from them, I do also realize they are not perfect. I know they will fall short of my expectation as I myself often fall short...it does not mean I love them any less or think less of them as a person. My expectation, my high standard, is based on the potential I see within and my desire to see it reached.
how does this tie into my hiking story? for me, and those around me, my expectations can feel like that mountain. I expect myself and those around me to be at the top, to be experiencing the incredible view from the top to have reached that great destination...and its true. who wouldn't want to be at the top and experience something beautiful?...but it doesn't mean I look down on anyone for catching their breath as they climb. Not everyone climbs as fast as another. The elevation can make it harder for one person to breath, someone else's legs might not be as strong...the point is ..everyone struggles up the mountain, every one's challenges are different. We have to climb at our own pace...but if the cave were not as high, if it weren't difficult to reach the top...if my expectations were lower...there would be no reason to push oneself. The beauty of the view, so easily come by, would not be appreciated. None of us is perfect, but the standard stays the same even when we fall short. But falling short doesn't mean we stop fighting our uphil battle...It takes great effort to experience and become something great...
2 comments:
What great insight. Love it!
`lori, I didn't know you had a blog, I've become addicted to blogs so I'm glad you have one. and I love your story/analogy!
Post a Comment