After a very long very eventful Sunday I returned home to finally sit on my couch and do absolutely nothing. (which is not something I get to 'do' very often) Halfway through my perfectly boring evening my oldest sister, Jen, and her three kids came over to visit. before I go on, I must explain that my other sister Shannon is staying with us for the summer while her husband is out to sea. Along with her and her two children came their pet turtle, Jasmin. Jasmin has been in their family almost five years and is currently residing in a tank in my parents basement. And I tell you he is quite content most of the time. Anyway, Brandon (Jen's two year old) is obsessed with the turtle. He thinks it is the coolest thing in the whole world. Soon after Jen and her kids came by Brandon started asking to go down and see the turtle. We were busy talking so we all said "later Brandon". My dad took pity on Brandon and agreed to take him downstairs. About a minute later my dad yells up the stairs, "Shannon. your turtle is dead" we went downstairs to find the turtle upside down in the water with its front leg twisted and stuck in the filter tube. My dad picked up the turtle's limp body...yep he looked dead. none of us knew how long he had been like that...what a horrible way to die. To drown because you got your foot stuck in a tube...my niece was heartbroken and after she had cried for some time she made a suitable shoe box and we placed the turtle inside. We decided the funeral service would be held the following day after my dad could make a headstone to mark the grave. A few hours later my mom heard some thing in the box and found that Jasmin was not dead after all. He wasvery weak and with a broken arm but definitely not dead. After a nervous night, my sister took him to the vet and learned that it only takes about 30 min for a turtle to drown so he couldn't have been like that for long. Which means that had my dad not listened to the wishes of a 2 year old ,Jasmin might not have made it through...jas is not out of the woods yet but since I don't like funerals...of any kind, I'm pretty happy the turtle is still living.
No comments:
Post a Comment