This picture is a truly incredible family. They are, and have been over the last year and half, a pillar of strength to me. The beautiful woman in the middle is Melanie. Melanie passed away yesterday morning after a long hard battle with cancer. About a year and a half ago Melanie worked with me at the Gap. She was scheduled to come in but called to tell me that she was sick...she had walking pneumonia and was told to stay home and rest. About a week later she came into the store with her girls. She pulled me into the back room and I asked her how she was feeling. She looked at me, in an attempt to be strong, and told me that she had just been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. I had no words. We both had a good cry together and she told me she was going to fight it. Soon after this Melanie's oldest daughter and Melanie's sister started working at the store and they kept us informed. The cancer spread. Just a few weeks ago it had spread to her liver and they realized there was nothing left to do but to make her as comfortable as possible. (you can read her blog here)
I was informed today just after I arrived at work that she had passed away. Surprisingly I held it together for a 9hr shift. I had to. I was in charge and it's Christmas. But then I got home and I got on her facebook page and saw the pictures of her before and of her after and I pretty much crumbled. Honestly I'm not horribly upset for Melanie- the last year of her life has been hard. I know she is with her Father in Heaven and being taken care of. She was a righteous woman who was a joy to be around. Everyone loved her. But what makes my heart break is her four children. The oldest is 20 and the youngest only 12. It makes me sad to think that her girls are going to get married and they won't have their mom to help them pick out their dresses or be at their high school and college graduations. She won't be there to hold their babies or when her son comes home from his mission. I know they are strong. I know they will get through it. I know that the atonement will carry them through this time and times to come...but it is hard for me to watch. My mom is one of my best friends and I know how completely my heart would break if she were to pass away. I have several friends who have lost their mother's to cancer- and because I love them- every mother's day my heart breaks a little for them. It has become a bitter sweet day for me. Sweet because I love my mother and get to talk to her everyday. Bitter because my dearest friends don't have that opportunity.
I admire this family so much. They are so strong. They are an inspiration to me. She will be missed by everyone who knew her.
1 comment:
Sure love you.
Post a Comment