"You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go"(Dr.Seuss) Decide where you want to go, or life will decide for you...
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
How quickly we adapt
So I looked outside today and saw my car sitting in the drive way and thought to myself, "wow- my car is filthy". I can't even remember the last time it was washed and now it has multiple places where the seagulls at the mall have been using it for target practice. So I was talking to my mom and I said, "I need to drive my car through the car wash" and a split second later I thought, hum..I guess I could wash it myself. I had the day off and only a few things to do. I had the time to wash it. Then I started thinking...how lazy our society has become. It hadn't occurred to me that I could actually wash my car myself. I used to wash my car every week inside and out..I love washing the car. I would like to think that I have just been so busy the last few years that paying the $6 dollars was a better value for me than all the things I wouldn't get done in the 30 or 40 min it took me to wash the car myself. But how sad is it that I was going to still pay $6 to have a machine wash my car when it was a beautiful day outside and I don't have to work until 6pm. Insane. How quickly I adapted to the thinking that is was not just more convenient to use the car wash but that it was now the only solution. Makes me wonder how many other things in my life have become that way. What things have I convinced myself are necessities that really are not. I bet its more than just washing my car...I think I need to spend some more time really stopping and thinking about how I am spending my time and my money. I need to make sure what starts out as a once in awhile convenience does not turn into my only mode of survival.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment