Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Did You Need Something?

Please tell me that I am not the only one that has lame people in my life.  Or actually I kind of hope I am the only one and the rest of the world has better friends than I do.  That being said- MOST of my friends are fantastic!! Best people EVER.  so before I come off sounding super harsh let me just say- I don't think these people I'm about to blog about do any of this on purpose.  In fact, they probably don't even realize how they are acting or making people feel.  maybe I am too sensitive or maybe just fed up. 
I think most everyone has these people in there lives.  People who knowingly, or unknowingly, think that they are the center of the earth.  They are constantly updating the world on their life.  Their frustrations, successes, etc...but have you ever noticed that these people never know what's going on in the lives of others.  They rarely, if ever, initiate contact with you.  When YOU initiate contact with them they ask things like, "how is everything going for you?"....translation:  I don't know anything specific that is happening in your life right now so I'm just going to generically and impersonally ask how EVERYTHING is.  These are the people who ask how you are, but don't really want to hear the truth.  they want a straight forward- "I'm great".  If you said anything else they would probably feel uncomfortable or find some way out of the conversation before you are finished sharing.  They are also the kind of people that ask how you are and then are easily diverted and never come back to hear your answer.  I have had WAY too many of these "friends" in my life and my patience for these people lessens by the year.  Again let me clarify- this in no way includes the good friends who for one reason or another don't talk to you on a frequent basis- those good friends usually make up for the time passage by diving in and asking lots of questions.  So even thought months have gone by- you still feel super valued by the time your conversation is over.  I mean the people who live in the same city, who are supposed to be your good friends, and yet know nothing about you- not even the big stuff- like weddings, funerals, job changes, that sort of thing...
Heaven knows I'm not perfect.  Sometimes my life gets in the way and I am a crappy friend.  But I always feel bad and try and make up for it by making an effort to fill in the gaps I've created with substance.  I'm also not saying I want everyone to talk to me every day- ick I know I couldn't handle that- but don't talk to me just when you need something...take a few seconds to understand someone besides yourself.  (Disclaimer: to my friends reading this- and who read my blog on a semi regular basis-I'm probably not talking about you since you are investing the time to read my thoughts.  Love you)  And if you think this is you- TRY HARDER!  People don't like to feel used or like a left over.  If you are supposed to be a good friend- try to be one. 

3 comments:

Jen said...

I love when you skip the bs and get right down to it.

From A.Lemon To Lemonade said...

It's even worse when "those" people are in your family!

Lori Ann said...

haha thanks Jen!