Saturday, December 25, 2010

Find what's missing

so...how do you find something that can't be found? I haven't any idea. All my life I have had a love for family and I've known all my life that my family history is something I need to do. To be honest though I was pretty content just studying what had already been found. Kudos to someone along the line because my dad's family history is pretty far back- I think to the early 1600s. And one side of my mom's is done pretty far back as well. HOWEVER- My dear grandfather on my mom's side was the first person in his family to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints so no temple work has been done. To make things even harder- the record only goes back about 3 generations (2 if we are counting only accurate documentation). Unfortunately my grandpa's family is from Dyers burg Tennessee and once upon a time the courthouse containing all the birth, death, and marriage records burned to the ground. So although many have looked for answers several generations have been unable to move beyond my great great grandfather.
Deep down I know that I need to find this line. I have put it off for years because I was in school or the relief society president, or some other worthy time consuming thing- But I can't put it off forever and I feel like now is the time to start working on it...but the problem is I don't even know where to begin. All the websites with records cost money, which wouldn't be a big deal if I knew they were going to help me. I am not complaining- I didn't really expect it to be easy. After all, if it had been easy my grandmother or my sister would have found all the answers by now. That doesn't keep me from getting frustrated though- I just hope that if I'm willing I get a little inspiration to help me find what so far cannot be found- A name.

2 comments:

Brittney Stirling said...

Oh Lori I read your post and got excited again. I took some family history classes in Rexburg and let me just tell you something special happens when you start to look. You will recieve the help you need. Thanks for making me remember I have an adventure waiting when I get back! Oh and P.S. I think the church has places in PG that help you know what programs to use.

Caitlin said...

Lori, I can relate! My side of the family is done to way back when, and I've never touched it. However, Rob's the first and only member in his family, and their family history is lacking big time. A family history specialist in my ward just found a site that easily has over 30 new names for us to do work on. Pick their brains--and I'll bet the girl helping me would even try and help you if you want to talk to her--she's AMAZING.

Good luck!