Sunday, July 11, 2010

Not just for kids




I am a kid at heart. And maybe not so much at heart..maybe it comes out of my heart a little too often. I love to have fun. I love to laugh and play and enjoy every day! That being said, it only makes sense that I would be a fan of playgrounds and slides. All kinds of slides. However, there are times when the playing must stop and some serious reflection must take place. The last few days I have been reflecting on my life. Where it was and where it is and where I want it to be. As I look back, I realize that even serious things can be related to fun, for example. A typical park slide. I realized, even just a few months ago I was working really hard to climb those steps to get to the peak and enjoy the view. Its amazing being at the top...no one can reach you and your view is amazing. You can see things you couldn't see from the lower elevation. But at some point in the recent past I must have sat down to take a rest or something, and in sitting I inadvertently allowed myself to slide down the slide. I don't even think I realized what was happening. But here I am again, at the bottom of the steps, looking up to my goal and realizing that it takes a lot more work and a lot more time to get to the top than it does to slide down to the bottom. That is the easy part, no effort and it happens quickly. Now I'm not saying I have done anything horribly bad...I just am not seeing things as clearly as I once was and I know the reason for it. I can see which areas of my life are lacking attention and its time to start my upward climb...once again. But this time...I'm going to try and stay at the top.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Living and learning--that's what we do best, isn't it? It's not always easy to recognize when I'm slacking off, but the times that I do it faster (remedy and all), are the times when I'm happiest. While I get the slide analogy (and like it), sometimes I think life will be a never ending roller coaster.

Unknown said...

Your writing is amazing. I think you should add publish a book to your bucket list, I'm sure it would be on the New York's best sellers list.