Wednesday, February 27, 2013

You Look Like a Real Prince but...

I read one of my favorite books tonight.  I think I've mentioned it before.  The Paper Bag Princess.  It's a children's book.  But not really.  Yes, children will be entertained by it but the message is for adults as well. 

The story line is as follows,  A fire breathing dragon burns down her castle and steals her fiance away.  She is left with nothing but ashes and an old paper bag.  After donning the bag she follows the dragon, outsmarts him, and saves her fiance.  This is how the book ends:


He looked at her and said, "Elizabeth, you are a mess!  you smell like ashes, your hair is all tangled and you are wearing a dirty old paper bag.  Come back when you are dressed like a real princess."

"Ronald," said Elizabeth, "your clothes are really pretty and your hair is very neat.  You look like a real prince, but you are a bum."  They didn't get married after all.

why do I love this book with it's non traditional happy ending? Because she dodges a bullet.  To think, she almost married that bum.  That shallow man who didn't appreciate her brains, her determination, and her commitment.  In the first place- Ronald should have been attempting to save himself.  Second, he should have loved her not in spite of her haggard appearance but because of it.  So kudos to you Elizabeth.  Go use your life loving skills to find a real prince who can see past your paper bag.  ;)

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I love this book. I love that the whole struggle not only let Elizabeth see the schmuck that Ronald was, it showed her how amazing she was. Then she wasn't willing to sell herself short by marrying Ronald. The story isn't about Ronald -- it would be interesting to read a Ronald story -- it's about Elizabeth.