"You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go"(Dr.Seuss) Decide where you want to go, or life will decide for you...
Wednesday, September 21, 2011
The Gift of Winging it...
Recently my church chior has had a slight overhaul. And by slight I really mean huge. The regulars have mostly moved out and its still in transition of gaining more members. Two weeks ago there were six men and 3 girls. My friend Anna and I took turns singing the melody...because did I mention all 3 of the girls sing alto. Amazing. Anyway, this last sunday we were scheduled to perform and we actually had quite a few people show up for practice. At practice we had probably 10-12 men, 6 sopranos, and 2 altos....plus the pianist who decided to sing with us. NO big deal, I am a belter, I can project. Especially in the alto range where its comfortable and more fun to sing. Well all of a sudden its time to perform. I walk up to the front, get in my place and realize, i'm standing alone in my alto section. where the other girl from practice went I have no idea. I just chuckled to myself, because that's totally my luck. So now we are down and alto and gained another soprano. I calculate this in my head and panic slightly- I had never practiced this way...just how loud does a person have to sing to harmonize with 7 sopranos??? Good questions right...and then what is too loud, because you don't want to not blend??? Good thing i'm blessed with the gift of "winging it" the pianist, in her mercy, sang with me and no one in the audience could tell so all in all it was a success. Although can we please not do that again unless i'm prepared before hand??? yikes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's funny! That was almost me this Sunday. During the practice I was the only alto, luckily (it usually happens this way) another alto showed up when it was time to perform. A little scary in the mean time. Haha
Nice work. You're amazing! :)
Post a Comment