Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Now what coach?

I think my niece has become my muse. She has inspired my last several posts, I do have other ideas but they are much more time intensive. So I've opted for quantity right now and not necessarily quality. Tonight we were on facebook and she was showing me pictures of all her crushes. And she has a lot! Anyway, she friend requested one of them- the "super corner" boy from her seminary class . He accepted, and then popped up a chat box. She gasps and says, "Oh my gosh, he's chatting with me. what do I say?" It was hilarious. I had to coach her through the whole conversation...it went something like this:

"what do I say?"
"how about- what's up"
"oh ok. good. ...Now what?"
"I don't know ask him anything. what do you want to know"
"I don't know. ahhh" bites her nails and chews on lip
"ok, ask what his favorite movie is"
"oh that's a good one!"

... this type of thing went on for probably 20 minutes. But the funny thing was- I was totally like her at 15. I couldn't talk to boys at all...they were scary. Just nice to look at during class and think about all day long- but if one ever even looked at me I freaked out. Sadly I did not have "the coolest aunt in the world" to coach me :) It took me forever to become un-awkward around boys..and lets be honest, I'm not sure I've totally gotten over it all the way. But, I think with my help, she may make it through her teenage years much smoother than I did- I mean I got my first credit card before I got my first kiss. Not that that's a horrible thing, but I'm going to get my niece dating BEFORE she's 18! We just have to teach her how to talk to people she doesn't know....especially if they are male.

2 comments:

beccarose said...

Oh, Lori...the things we learn with perspective, huh?

PS...wasn't the consensus that only "creepers" used the "super corner"? Or am I remembering wrong?

Lori Ann said...

haha yes. creepers and 15 yr old boys who don't have any better social skills :)