
Memorial day is a great holiday. I am a sentimental person so I'm all about memorials and remembering. That's one reason I love history and genealogy so much. But along with being great its also a little sad. I am grateful to everyone who has sacrificed so that my life could be better. But I also feel things very deeply. So when I remember, I feel keenly the loss of those same individuals. Even people I don't know. When I touched the Vietnam memorial wall or walked through the Holocaust museum in Washington DC I felt physically ill thinking of all the families that have been touched by sadness and pain. I also remember those I have known, my grandparents and my friends and I have a selfish moment thinking how great things would be if they were still here...but I know life doesn't work like that. We can't live forever. All we can do is make the most of the time we are given and cherish the memories we make. So yes, its a wonderful holiday- those who have gone before us should be remembered and celebrated for their accomplishments and sacrifice but with those memories comes my own trail of tears.
No comments:
Post a Comment