Monday, August 3, 2009

"I want people to notice me...not my band-aid"...




Tonight my sister and I were having a good chat and I remembered an old commercial from the early 80s when clear band-aids were just invented...the model wanted people to just see her and not what was on her finger....as my sister and I continued to talk I got thinking how like life that is....people very rarely notice the real person because they are focused so much on the outside. I am not trying to say the outer appearance is not important, it is. But people shouldn't just stop there...and so often we do. I myself am guilty at times. It is easy to judge simply on what a person looks like or how they present themselves...it takes so much more effort to find the real person inside. This all came about because I was venting to my sister about dating and how I always attract the wrong guys. There have been one or two exceptions but for the most part I attract only guys who are either simply jerks or too lazy to really get to know me...they are attracted to the outside and that's all they want...which is super frustrating because I know myself really well and can say I'm a pretty cool person...yes I can be difficult...I don't open up easily...but when someone gives you a gift and the bow is tied real tight and its taped on every edge and it takes you 20 min to get into ...you don't just toss it aside and say "thanks for the thought, the wrapping is real pretty but I don't want your gift, its too much work to open"...I'm hoping someday I will find a man who is patient, sees past just the outside and knows that the whole package is worth the little bit of work it takes to get to what's inside. "I want to be noticed for me...not my band-aid"

No comments: