"You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go"(Dr.Seuss) Decide where you want to go, or life will decide for you...
Friday, January 8, 2010
Mystery Diagnosis...
It is a commonly known fact that in my family, as far as the medical profession is concerned, we are never sick. And it is true that overall my family has a pretty healthy immune system and rarely experiences health problems. So none of us really every makes a trip to the doctor. So when we do swallow our pride and head in to have symptoms checked out it is usually a big deal. However, no matter what the symptoms, if a member of my family goes to the doctor, 98% of the time the professional analysis says "you are fine. there is nothing wrong with you". So over the years we have all just refused to go in...might as well suck it up and save the copay. right!?! I say this because two days ago I woke up with a sore throat. And not only a sore throat but I also had a headache, fatigue and soreness in my neck and the feeling like I had a gigantic cotton ball just sitting at the back of my throat. I figured it was just the beginning stages of a cold and if I took enough vitamins and got some sleep it would just go away. so I did, for two days I went to work and just hopped it would go away. Well, 48 hrs later it hadn't gotten any worse, but it also hadn't gotten any better which I thought was weird. After working 16 hours and not sleeping well I figured I would have been hit pretty hard by now. I brushed it off again until I was flossing my teeth last night. As I was flossing my back molars I happened to glance at my tonsils...and I thought...hum...they are huge, red, and have lots of spots...that's not normal. I had my mom look at it and she said I probably had strep. cool. or not. After another fitful sleep I work up early and headed over to get a test done. They swabbed, tested and surprise...it was negative for strep. The doctor said that another cause of my symptoms was mono but he was convinced I don't have that either since I am only moderately tired and had a temperature of less than 98 degrees. He said it was probably just a cold virus and should go away in 5-7 days. If you ask me that is just a generic way of saying I have no idea what is wrong with you so I can't prescribe any medication so just sleep it off. LAME! The truth of it being...my throat is not that sore, and ibuprofen seems to be working for the headache...but the swollen tonsils...SO annoying! I should have known better though...my sister with crohn's disease, she had "nothing wrong" for several months...did it ever occur to medical professionals that just because there are common symptoms doesn't mean that everyone has to display the same symptoms...I rarely have ALL the symptoms...for heaven sakes when I had my appendix removed the only symptom I had was pain. I had a very slight fever but other than that I was having quite a jovial time in the ER with my roommate...thank heaven for blood tests. oh well...guess I'll wait 7 days and see if my nothing disappears...and lets hope it does or I might go crazy trying to swallow every ten seconds. AHHH
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ah, doctors...gotta love them. When we got home from our honeymoon and Jeff was sick we went to the dr. His strep test was negative and she decided that maybe, just maybe, he had diptheria. Diptheria?! Come on lady!!!
Needless to say I took him to the ER two days later (when he hadn't eaten or had fluids in 16 hours or so) and they told him he had mono, which he still denies. The steroids and fluids they gave him fixed him right up. The symptoms aren't always right but in his case the blood work was too.
Good luck! I hope you just have a cold and not something super icky.
haha I know right...you would think after so long working in a hospital and seeing all kinds of crazy things they would know that not everyone reacts the same way...whatever...so far nothing super icky! thanks jen! I love your comments!
Post a Comment