"You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go"(Dr.Seuss) Decide where you want to go, or life will decide for you...
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Impromptu Parking Lot
It takes about 9ish hours to drive from my house to Anaheim California. Not a bad trip really. As some of you know I recently went to Disneyland...yes, again. Anyway, we were right on schedule to arrive in Anaheim at about 3pm. Which is perfect because if you hit L.A. any later than that you will be enjoying a lengthy interaction with rush hour traffic. For those of you who don't know, there is pretty much one way into LA county. We were on that road, when we hit bumper to bumper traffic. After about 30 minutes of driving at 2mph we finally pulled off to the side of the road. yes my friends- we parked our car on the freeway. We joined what looked like 20 or so other cars on the shoulder and got out for a little stroll. About five minutes after we stopped, the entire freeway shut down. Everyone was forced to turn their cars off and just wait. Hundreds of cars were parked on the road. Awesome. The interesting part of the whole experience for me was watching the reactions of other people. There were a few choice words thrown around by one or two men in their shirt and ties but for the most part, everyone was super calm about it. People pulled out footballs and were playing games. The guy in front of me pulled out a bag of chips and a mountain dew and just sat on his car. Everyone just accepted it and made the most of the situation. I really was stunned by the whole thing and couldn't help asking myself, "if this happened at the point of the mountain in Utah, would my fellow motorists be this calm?" Sadly I had to answer myself that no, I don't believe they would be. I could be wrong...but honestly I hope I never get to find out. The freeway, after 3 hours, finally opened up just in time for us to his rush hour traffic. So after adding on about 5 hours to my trip we did eventually make it into Anaheim...where all my dreams came true!... okay they didn't. But I did have an amazing two days in my favorite place ever!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I actually did get "parking lotted" at point of the mountain, heading south. It was a little chilly, but people got out of their cars, chatted, started up football, or even just rolled down their windows and played music... The people in front of us had their dogs out and everyone wanted to be introduced. It was much more civilized meeting and talking to people than driving with them, frankly.
Post a Comment